Friday, May 30, 2014

forgiving my father?

While trolling through Facebook two days ago, I saw that a friend from childhood had lost her mother. First it broke my heart, and then it pushed my buttons.

For the past 9 months I have been watching my father die slowly. Actually, I need to amend that. I have been watching my father die for the past 43 years. It feels good to finally say that out loud. It feels good to own where all of my mixed feelings have been based on for the past year.

My father is an alcoholic. There is nothing wrong with that per say, alcoholics are everywhere. And not all alcoholics are like my father. Or, more accurately, like my father was. My father did get sober when I was in my 20's, which is why I choose to not share stories about my childhood now. I am so protective against him being judged. Or I was. 

I am known for saying that my fathers alcoholism is his story, and if he wants to share it he can. That is noble and on some level correct, but it creates a small problem for me. I never get to acknowledge my story. My experiences. My truth. Until now. I have spent nine months trying to resolve my feelings, trying to rationalize, justify, deny them...but they are what they are. 

My father never meant to become an alcoholic. Nor, did he ever intend for his alcoholism to impact the world around him the way it did. Never mind that, he never intended for it to impact him the way it did. 

My father drank. To the point that when I was five, I took a piece of poster board and made a calendar, four full weeks, and on that calendar I created a schedule to wean him off of booze. I drew little bottles, starting with 30, and worked him down to 1. It failed. When I was ten, I tried to walk home from Billerica to Spencer so that I did not have to get in a car with him, after my step mother told me he would be fine to drive even though he could not walk to the car on his own. When I was thirteen I was no longer allowed to be alone with him. And when I was twenty-one my grandmother called me for help because he was drunk and belligerent, and I told him that if he bought the gun I would buy the bullets because I could no longer watch him die slowly. He went to detox that day...it was not his first or his last, but it was the one that changed something for him. On the outside. 

On the inside his body was waging war on the man that had abused it. He had developed cirrhosis, hepatitis, and COPD. These led to heart problems, diabetes, depression, and a plethora of other things. Those things are killing him now, which means, in effect, that his alcoholism is killing him now. And do not underestimate that sentence. He has been in a hospital or a nursing home for 7 of the past 9 months: in a coma twice, had two heart attacks, is in end stage liver disease, deemed inoperable for his 2/3 blocked aortic valve, has gone into congestive heart failure 3 times, has gone on insulin, has almost bled out internally, has had bands put in his esophagus, is 100% deaf in one ear, 90% deaf in the other ear, and has been on life support. 

Not once in this time, through this situation, have I known how I feel. I have vacillated between rage and relief, fear and faith, joy and sadness. I have tried to defend and protect his rights as a patient while simultaneously resenting his not letting go. I have battled the desire to make his sickness about me by trying to keep the focus on him. I have avoided questions about his well being, while asking for prayers for his recovery...because I want him to recover...and resent him for it. I am so angry that he put himself here, and so sad for the man that is withering before my very eyes. 

I am not sure that I am any closer to understanding myself in this situation. I do not know that there is a clean cut, black or white resolution to emotion. I do know that it is time to face the feelings so that they have an opportunity to heal and to become less powerful.  Or at least, that is my hope. 

12 comments:

  1. Well said. There is strength in release. Your very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sonja. You just verbalized much of my own story. I totally relate and identify with you plight. It is a heartbreaking disease in every way. We know this. We struggle with all the emotions connected with it in ways that others cannot understand either. We love them, we hate them, we pity them...the emotions are a cascade of humanism. We are grateful for our own sobriety because we know, without a shadow of a doubt, that this awaits us as well should be decide to test the waters again. My Dad died of a heart attack when I was 17. Three of four of my brothers followed his lead into alcholism as did my sister and myself. I am the only one in sobriety. My oldest brother died 3 years ago at the age of 61 as a direct result of 4th stage alcoholism. My 2nd oldest brother is in a similar condition of your father right now...several heart attacks, diabetes, congestive heart failure, etc. and he is 63 years old. I can only do small doses of my family. I long for them to be sober, but they continue. I love at a distance, missing what could be....it's a lonely disease with or without the drink sometimes. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I haven't been to a meeting in over 3 months and it feels good to share and identify as an alcoholic and remind myself who I am and why I am. I love you, my sistah! stay strong! You have more courage than you know! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, thank you for sharing that with me. I am still new to this sharing what is going on thing, and it feels amazing to have so much support with it. Ironically, my dad is 64- so he and your brother have a lot in common. It is draining, and disheartening to watch, and even more so to feel so conflicted about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja,
    It is so good to hear you verbalize this struggle, and battle that rages within you too.
    This disease is cunning baffling and destructive to all in its path. I love you and know that you will resolve and come thru with the strength of a bull. Your spirit is beautiful and you know what you know. To Thine Own Self Be True…Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg...Thank you. It is time...did you get my message last week?

      Delete
  5. Sonja, I am leaving on a plane Wednesday to witness a similar father dying of a similar alcoholism. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sonja,
    First off, I want to say that I think you are a brave woman for letting out your feelings. You have to let things go in order to heal. Good for you for coming to terms with things. Like a lot of people in the world, my life has been touched by alcohol as well. I can relate to your story. I am just sorry to see you going through it. I reached a point where I just stopped caring. I had too, in order to protect myself and my children, be strong my friend. It will all work out. It would be a good idea for you to meditate with a nice big amethyst crystal. I know it might sound kooky, but it works. You sit by yourself in a dim room, put on soothing music that has no words and hold the crystal in your right hand, and think about the problems that you've endured over your lifetime, start with your earliest memories and work forward. take that energy you create with the emotions and imagine all the pain, the hurt, and confusion slowly ebbing out of your heart chakra and down your right arm into the crystal. do this several times, over a period of time, depending on the level of need, you will feel better. You may also notice that you will change the composition of the inside of the crystal. When I was finished, My once clean and clear crystal turned dark and cloudy. I in essence trapped the negative into the crystal. I then buried my crystal in the yard. It is still there, 14 years later. I may sound like a goof, but I'm serious, it truly works and you'll feel a lot better and be able to be "clear"- It would also be a good idea to cleanse yourself with white sage. I am a Native American Shaman, a spiritual healer. I was put on this earth to help and heal. If you are truly interested and need assistance with obtaining the necessary tools, I will send them to you free of charge. If you want a spiritual cleansing or help in anyway, I'll be on the east coast in September, I am going to visit my dad in Maine, and I will be traveling up and down the eastern states. Please do not think I am a weirdo, as I am not. I just don't normally tell people unless necessary and I feel the "push" to try and help you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am open to trying it, send the supplies! Thank you for your words...I appreciate them. I hope we can get together in the fall!

      Delete
  7. Wow...how similar our lives are...I applaud your honesty. This is indeed a challenging road you are on.

    ReplyDelete